The best alternative to WhatsApp; Upgrade to Telegram!
Know the IRCTC website well enough
- First things first – Between 10AM and 12PM, you can book tatkal tickets only on IRCTC’s website (http://irctc.co.in). Hence, avoid using Mobile Apps, third-party apps or websites.
- A single username can be used to make only two tatkal bookings per day. To increase your chances, keep multiple working usernames handy.
- A single IP address can be used to make only two tatkal bookings per day (Important if you’re using the internet network at an office or university). To avoid this, either reset your modem to get a new IP address or use personal hotspot from your smart phone to use an alternate internet connection.
- You can login using only one username per browser (+1 if you’re also using incognito mode on Chrome). To battle this, use multiple browsers to use the site.
- There’s a good possibility that during the booking process, booking amount may be deducted from your account but the site fails to allot you a ticket. While the system automatically processes a refund soon, that amount of money is unavailable in your account for 2-3 days at least.
- If you press any of the browser buttons like back, forward, refresh etc., the website will automatically close your session and you will have to login again.
- While the IRCTC website functions smoothly through the day, it’s quite difficult to access it during the peak hour (10AM-11AM)
- While few trains have tatkal tickets available for booking even at 10.20 AM, a majority of them are overbooked by 10.10 AM itself. On peak days (onset of vacations), all tatkal tickets may get booked by 10.02 itself (Yes, I have seen that happen!)
- During tatkal bookings, only 4 people can be booked together at one go. If you’re travelling in groups larger than 4, you will have to make more than 1 booking.
- Quick Book doesn’t work during Tatkal Timings. Instead, a lighter version of IRCTC website works from 9.30AM to 12PM which eliminates the need for adblockers etc.
Next: Improve your chances by Doing your homework and staying prepared
Thought we missed an important point? Mention that in the comments below