Phew! So it’s finally time that our entire campus is WiFi enabled. Apart from letting us use Laptops in every corner of the college without hassles, it has also made it easier for us to connect our mobile devices to the network.
Available… but is it worth it?
Here’s what I have gathered from my one-month experience:
Why use WiFi for data access on your mobile devices -
- Improves battery life of most Android Devices by almost 30%
- Lowered Monthly Mobile Data requirement for your phone/tablets. (Reduced my mobile data usage from 1.5GB/month to 300-500MB incl working outside campus)
- WiFi network available in areas in the campus where the mobile network is poor.
- Free Unlimited Data access
- High Speed Network
- It’s a 2 step process – 1) connect to wifi 2) get internet access
- May need to login to the wifi and network again when operating from different sections of the campus.
How to connect?
You will face primarily two kind of hurdles
Step 1 – Connecting to the WiFi Network
For connecting to the WiFi network you will need the username / password (for college intranet, back in ol’ days) provided to you by the institute. In most cases, it will be default password handed over to you. If you’re facing difficulties connecting, try using the default password i.e. spj@1234 (is it?)
Step 2 – Getting Internet access.
Internet access is provided through Sonicwall Network Security Appliance. The process is simple, except that the final grant of internet access requires the opening up of a pop-up window. If you’re facing issues here, ensure that the pop-up blocker is switched OFF for your browser or specifically for any sites with their names beginning with 172.16.72.25
If you’re still facing issues, try these tutorials-
Choose the device which you’re unable to use with SPJIMR WiFi Network –