During my recent interactions with Senior Managers from various FMCG giants, I requested them to give a basic idea related to the competencies required for Sales & Marketing roles at FMCG companies similar to theirs.
Here’s what we got.
The three critical competencies required for a Marketing Manager -
- Excellent Data analysis skills
- Ability to interact and work with Senior management on a daily basis
- Brimming with Creativity and excellent at promotional communication
The four critical competencies required for a Sales Manager-
- Adaptability and liking for Business Traveling a frequent basis
- People Skills
- Ability to get work done, specially by guiding a team.
- Ability to absorb pressures of Monthly targets and patiently work towards them.
(Just in case you had confusion regarding difference between Sales and Marketing roles, refer this – Differentiating Sales and Marketing)
Other insights we got -
- It is also often seen that Marketing functions in FMCG companies are usually ‘Up or out‘ functions. i.e. You are either promoted for your good work, or you have to leave to make sure someone else who has done well can progress. Whereas in Sales, you can stay in the same position/role for much longer.
- Modern Retail Malls flourished on the three assumptions – Everyone has a car, Everyone has a credit card, Everyone has space to park that car. In India, it falls out to much extent. People are still dependent on local grocery stores.
- Online Retail is unable to compete with grocery stores due to the exceptional service provided by grocery stores.
Do you feel we missed out on a critical competency required for a Sales & Marketing role? Let us know what you think.