Just in case you didn’t know about Connectify, here’s from their website –
Connectify Hotspot lets you share your computer’s Internet connection with other devices over Wi-Fi.As long as your computer is online, your other nearby devices – and friends and colleagues – will be, too. (source : Connectify.me )
Connectify is a wonderful concept and it was a great hit. So much, that the developers have restricted the capabilities of the free-version of the software with every new release. To the extent that the latest version (v7 at the time of writing this post) is absolutely annoying. It makes my computer slow. It disconnects the shared network every hour with a message requesting to buy the product. It restricts sharing of 3G/4G networks. and much more.
So, i thought of going back to good old ages, when Connectify was indeed lite and gave a lot of freedom of use.
Presenting to you, the long forgotten – Connectify v1.2 (Download Link)
To highlight the differences:
- Unlimited Hotspot Uptime
- Lets you share 3G/4G networks
- Let’s you share Wifi over your Wifi
- Doesn’t slow down the computer unlike the latest version
- Doesn’t keep flashing irritating flash messages requesting you to buy the product.
- Sits in the corner without bothering you and does the work well.
- One Handicap I noticed: After waking up from Hibernation, unable to host a network until I restart my computer.
So, i am back to using the good old lite version of Connectify.
You can download the same from the source I downloaded it : Connectify 1.2 (via Softwareweb.com)
OR download it from my backup : Connectify 1.2 (via Box.net)
If you’re fed up of Connectify altogether, and looking for alternatives:
Here’re a few interesting articles I stumbled upon (havn’t tried any though)
- 3 Free Connectify alternatives
- WiFi Hotspot Creator
- Virtual WiFi Hotspot for Windows 7 & 8
- a query on MakeUseOf.com
- alternativeto : Connectify
Do share your views on your experience with connectify or its alternatives.