It all started when we were given our HP6515b in our first years. There were loads of problems and disasters but this post is not about all that. We could dedicate a whole blog to what all had happened then. For now, we are dealing with the windows installed on our systems.
HP6515b came installed with a Windows Vista Business and Office 2007. Vista had a nice GUI, so mostly everyone liked it. Rest shifted to LINUX or Windows XP (Installed by Value-point systems).
For the people who wanted to do it by themselves (including me). We learnt the problems faced after installing a new copy of windows. And coz installing windows myself for everyone else is not a solution, i am putting down some help-points for the same.
What all would you require?
1. Before (re-)installing windows, you should be aware of the data-loss which might take place. Thus, keep a backup of your data. And NO important files in the drive you are going to install windows on!
2. You will need the laptop drivers (specific to each operating system) to use your wireless LAN, sound and display adapters. Get the drivers handy before you install your copy of windows.
links for driver downloads [HP6515b]:
3. You will need the windows installation. Generally a DVD or CD will be enough but in some cases, the Disk Drive doesn’t read the Disks… So you can’t install through DVD or CD. In these cases you will have to make use of USB flash drives to install windows.
links for help on Windows USB installations:
4. The installation is very easy and i don’t feel you would face any major issues with it. ( approx 30 mins)
5. After the installation, you will need to install the drivers ( would take up to an hour). And then you will also need to install the software you use (gtalk, firefox, antivirus, etc.) (another 30mins or so). You would also need to install the major software like Office07, Nero, & other work related software. (another 1 hr).
6. And finally, you might be interested in updating your copy of windows and antivirus… just connect to the internet and do it…