Well.. I-On has only been causing a huge annoyance with the repeated login pop-ups and slow internet speeds… Well.. though, i can do nothing to help the internet speeds, there is a simple way to stop the repeated logins. And you also do not have to change your PC Name to your registration number… the new addition to the list of annoyances caused by i-on… I have listed a step by step procedure so that everyone can follow..
For technically inclined people, here is the summary. Use CNTLM, modify the configuration file appropriately, and forward the all internet requests through CNTLM. I have made a few windows command line scripts to create and remove services and to run CNTLM portably (without actually installing it)..
Step-by-Step Procedure ( All you need to know is to copy, open and close files ):
1. Download the zip file above.
2. Extract it. Copy the extracted folder called “CNTLM” to any location preferably in your D: Drive. ( Reason: So that you don’t bump into read-only access permission errors when inside “Program Files” or any such directory with Windows Vista or above.)
3. Open the CNTLM folder you just copied.
4. Open the file named “cntlm.ini” (Note: If you don’t have “Show extensions” enabled, you’ll just see two files called “cntlm” . In that case, just open the file which says as “Configuration Settings” in the “Type” column. )
5. Go down 3 or 4 lines, and you’ll see the text “07090XXXX”. Replace this with your registration number.
6. Look for the words, “blockX@mit” . Change this to your password. Say, “block15@mit”
7. Look for the words, “PC07090XXXX” in the next line and change that appropriately too.
8. Save the file and close it.
9. Right-click on the file “Service-Install.bat” and select “Run as Administrator” . ( Note: If you don’t have “Show extensions” enabled, its just “Service-Install” )
You’ll see a command line window open and close briefly as it automatically does the necessary things.
10. Now right click on the file “Service-Start.bat” and select “Run as Administrator” .
That’s it! .. You’re done. Just replace all your proxy settings to “127.0.0.1” and Port “3128” instead of I-On’s “10.49.0.13:8080”
Incase you do not know how to do that..
Open Internet Explorer, –> Tools –> Internet Options –> Connections Tab –> LAN Settings.
Check “Use a proxy server for your LAN” and also “Bypass server for local address” . Enter the proxy address and port as the above.
You’re done! .. Enjoy surfing the net without the need to login again or to change your PC Name… Your PC Name can now be whatever you want it to be.
Should it ask you to login again, it means the I-On is down or the net is not working for some other reason which is i-on’s problem…
Linux Users: The same concept works.
NTLMaps Users: NTLMaps is written in Python, while CNTLM is written in C/C++. Its the same otherwise. But since, CNTLM is C/C++, its very significantly faster than NTLMaps. So i would suggest using CNTLM.
P.S: This post was NOT my creation. This is the brainwork of Prasanna VL.
Pls appreciate the author of you like the work!